When the topic of SALES is mentioned it can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Some are put off by the mere word while others welcome it and/or it means money in their pocket and even flexible hours! What do you think of? An exciting challenge? A daunting endeavor for extroverts? President of NWMAP, Lennie Green, created a list of a few personality traits and types of people who would make a perfect-fit SALES Agent. He’s witnessed various types of people make a nice living selling Telecom services and products. He’s also been down that road himself.
First of all, it may seem less overwhelming when people know Sales Agents learn on-the-job. This means it’s an opportunity for growth. Lennie has specific tools he supplies his newer agents with and guides them through their independent path of sales. Traits and key points he’s noticed that do well or gravitate towards Sales Agent careers are as follows:
- Enjoy a challenge. Problems have solutions.
- Good listeners- every transaction with a customer involves a good amount of listening.
- Believe in the word-of-mouth system. With each customer you’ve helped, there is a good chance it will get around.
- View themselves as a business and an asset.
- Want to do better than good or good enough. they’re always looking to improve themselves and invest in themselves as a business.
- Good at time management and learn good time skills like closing sells faster.
The nitty gritty:
- An ability and willingness to learn on-the-job, asking questions, and soaking up knowledge constantly.
- Even engineering and/or technical people with the knowledge can learn people skills on the job and vice versa- if you have those people skills, you can learn the technical side.
- Realize sales is about building relationships, networks, and customer satisfaction. It can be very rewarding (aside from the money).
- A problem solver who enjoys creating strategies and working consistently with clients to find solutions. Think of it as a love connection dating site, except Telecom Sales Agents are matching their clients with the perfect product and service plan.
- An ability to go between the people side of things to the technical side of things.
- Speaking, and translating technology terms to clients.
You can grow into a sales position! Start with doing it on the side and build your business.